Saturday, December 6, 2008

2008 SEC Championship




Very rarely does one get to see a ballgame hyped quiet as much as today's SEC Championship. Even less times does one get to see a ballgame that lives up to the hype of such game. Today, my friends, we saw a classic. As an avid Bama fan, this is the hardest post I've had to make all year, but I feel that I must do it. Alabama simply lost to the better team on this given day at this given time. I hate the prognosticators that say "Well, what would happen if these two teams played 10 times". That doesn't matter. Florida won today, and there was no "iffy" calls, no "if this, or but this" to take away from them. Alabama played 4 quarters with 2 penalties (although both penalties extended drives that led to points for the Gators), one turnover that really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and only a couple of what I call mental mistakes. Lots of Bama fans were appalled at the fact that their beloved Crimson Tide could be 10 pt underdogs. I have to admit, I took Bama +9 today, and would have taken them straight up going into this game. The game was probably closer than its 31-20 finish, but I take my hat off to Florida. Without Percy Harvin, and perhaps more importantly, without their 2 Defensive Tackles that provide depth for their Defensive Line against a viscious Running Game, Florida found a way to win this game. These are the things that champions are made of. Florida will go on to play what appears to be Oklahoma in the BCS Championship game. Tim Tebow is my new Peyton Manning. I may not "like" you young man, because you have beaten my favorite team both times you have played them, but I respect you to the utmost degree for the way you lead your team, and the never say die, no quit attitude that you represent. In a very hard fought loss for my brethren, hold your head up Tide: we showed no quit, and did not beat ourself. We were beaten by the best team in the SEC, who played mistake free football themselves. I hope the 31-20 score does not water down what a great game this was for the SEC, and more importantly, college football. Now go on Gators, get your National Championship and lets keep this in the family.

-Heath

No comments: